Scuba Diving in St. Lucia
Come explore sunken wrecks or share bubbles with the endless array of tropical fish. From shallow multicolored reefs surrounded by blue Caribbean waters to the thrill of drop-offs into the deep blue, St. Lucia offers good to very good diving. St. Lucia has been growing as dive destination and the local dive community continues to find new dive sites, especially on the northern end of the island.
Hard coral, gorgonians, sponges, mini walls, lots of squid. Electric rays, night dives, wrecks.
Tropical fish and sea coral
St. Lucia boasts fairly clear water - though not as clear as Cozumel or the Cayman Islands. Because St. Lucia is located in a area that essentially covers both the Caribbean and the Atlantic water clarity and conditions are not as perfect as Coz or Cayman. Water temperature is fairly consistent around 83 degrees so wet suits are optional, though in the winter months it can get cooler.
The amazing variety and colors of the corals, sponges and tropical fishes are stunning. St. Lucia's local dive community is ecologically conscious - knives and gloves are not allowed. The west side of the island (the Caribbean side and most dived) is in the lee of the constant easterly trade winds so the water is much more calm than the east side (or Atlantic side).
St. Lucia offers a large number and variety of dive sites that will keep most divers happy. From deep wrecks and reefs...to long drift dives over coral formations...to diving in the shadow of Gros Piton and Petit Piton. Actually the view of the Pitons from the sea is breathtaking. Photo: View of the Pitos
Divers are tantalized with shallow reefs, amazing wall drop-offs, underwater canyons with big fish and a variaty of marine life.
St. Lucia Dive Operators:
- Dive Fair Helen/Helen Divers Ltd. Scuba diving tours and training.
- Oasis Marigot - Dive packages from this hotel on Marigot Bay.
- Buddies Scuba - Dive shop located on the north side of St. Lucia - located at the waterside landing marina in the second lagoon in side Rodney Bay Marina.
- Dive Fair Helen - located at the Marigot Beach Club in Marigot Bay
- Frog's Diving In St. Lucia - Located at Harmony Suites Hotel at Rodney Bay, in the North of the island, convenient to many of the northern hotels.
- Scuba St. Lucia - PADI Gold Palm Resort. Located at the "beautiful" Anse Chastanet resort. The hotel and dive shop are located in the heart of St. Lucia's Marine Reserve. There is good snorkeling right off shore in a "roped off" area.
St Lucia can provide an dive experience. Dive the wall at the base of the Pitons. Dive the national underwater park at Anse Chastanet. Wreck dives include the "Lesleen M".
The island is at the tip of an underwater volcano where both beginner and experienced divers alike will enjoy the stunning variety of coral, sponge and marine life. Artificial reefs have developed around a number of sunken ships which have become home to huge gorgonians, black coral trees, gigantic barrel sponges, purple vase sponges and black lace corals. Dive trips will reveal turtles, nurse sharks, seahorses, angel fish, and golden spotted eels, to name but a few.
There are several spectacular diving sites just off St Lucia, ranging from easy to challenging. Keyhole Pinnacles consists of 4 seamounts rising from incredible depths to within a few feet of the surface. Superman's Flight, a drift dive on a gentle wall which drops to 1,600 feet. At the base of Gros Piton the Coral Gardens rise from a depth of 15 to 50 feet and Anse La Raye, midway up the west coast is a superb wall and drift dive, where huge boulders cover a shallower slope creating fascinating formations to explore. On the point of Anse Chastenet, a plateau slopes gently from 40 - 60 feet. The reefs fall away to a depth of 140 feet in a unique coral chain, meandering out from the Bay. A number of shipwrecks provide adventure and exploration for divers. For the experienced only, off the southern part of the island, the Waiwinette freighter lies 90 feet below. The currents here make this dive extremely challenging, whereas further up the coast off Castries, there is a pleasant wreck dive in 20 feet of water for those less experienced. Photo: Anse Chastenet Beach.
There's simply no end to the wonders under the sea on St. Lucia. Here are a few dive site overviews.
- Anse Chastanet: One of the most dramatic spots for diving is the stunning Anse Chastanet reef in the southwest of the island. The shallows, with depths to 25ft can be entered directly from the beach. The reefs falls away from 20-140 ft in a unique coral wall that continues from Anse Chastaner Bay around the headland of Grand Caille and in towards the harbor of Soufriere, providing some of the best diving in St Lucia.
- Anse La Raye: Known as one of the finest wall and drift dives in St Lucia, Anse La Raye can be found below a shallow wall. Interesting formations at the slope which consists of huge bolders, stimulate the eye and imagination.
- Coral Gardens: Located at the base of the Gros Piton, the Coral Gardens offer breathtaking scenery above and below the water, where five finger coral runds from a depth of 15-50ft.
- Fairy Land: At the point of Anse Chastanet, a plateau named Fairy Land slopes gently from 40-60ft. Since strong currents here keep the corals and sponges clean and the viewing is excellent and, this site is ideal for underwater photography.
- The Key Hole Pinnacles: Voted one of the "10 Best Dive Sites" by Caribbean Travel & Life, The Pinnacles are described by the magazine as "four coral and gorgonian-encrusted seamounts that rise tantalizingly up from the ocean depths".
- Lesleen M Shipwreck: The Lesleen M, a 165-foot freighter, was sunk by the Department of Fisheries in 1986 to provide an artificial reef. It lies upright in 60 ft of water near Anse Cochon on the west coast, just south of Marigot Bay. Divers can tour the ship in its entirety.
- Superman’s Flight: Names for a scene on St Lucia for the movie Superman II, this site is a drift dive on a gentle wall that drops to 1600ft. Good visibility created by strong currents permits crystal clear viewing for underwater exploration. Divers can enter the water here at the base of Petit Piton.
- The Thing: According to those who have seen it “The Thing” is said to be St Lucia’s own “Loch Ness Monster on Vacation” Seen regularly (but only at night) one may catch a glimpse of this mysterious creature at Anse Chastanet.
|Gateway Villas: Cap Estate and Trouya Beach|
Gateway Villas offer a unique vacation specializing in the independent travelers. Located to the north of the island near the only championship Golf Course on the island, the 7 acre of tranquilized, ...
|Rendezvous: Malabar Beach|
Rendezvous is the first holiday in St. Lucia dedicated to the idea that great couples deserve a special place in the sun they can call their own. On this storybook island, Rendezvous is the storybook ...
|The Inn On The Bay: Marigot Bay|
A 5 Room Hotel overlooking Marigot Bay, the most beautiful bay of St. Lucia. Nestled in paradise between beautiful Marigot Bay and the deep blue Caribbean Sea, The Inn On The Bay will sweep you away ...
|Sandals - Grande St. Lucian: Rodney Bay|
This beach resort, built in a traditional British Colonial Style, is set on an isthmus with the Caribbean Sea to the immediate North and the tranquil Rodney Bay on the South. Sandals Resorts are the ...
|Sandals Halcyon St. Lucia: Castries|
Sandals Halcyon St. Lucia, a tranquil paradise , is considered the island's ultimate beach resort... Sandals St. Lucia Golf resort and Spa is the world's most glamorous resort, set on a half-mile ...
|Anse Chastanet: Soufriere|
Anse Chastanet offers 49 individually designed rooms, 37 of which are scattered about a lush hillside, and 12 which are nestled within a tropical garden at beach level. No two rooms at Anse ...
|Rex Papillon - St Lucia: Castries|
Rex Papillon in St. Lucia is an all-inclusive hotel resort. Ideal for a romantic getaway, wedding or honeymoon, families or singles ...
|Rex St. Lucian: Castries|
Guide to Rex St. Lucian, Rex Resorts' Caribbean beach front resort hotels on Reduit Beach, St Lucia's finest. Ideal for a romantic getaway, wedding or honeymoon, families with young children or ...
|Rex Royal St. Lucian: Castries|
Guide to Rex St. Lucian, Rex Resorts' Caribbean beach front resort hotel on Reduit Beach, St Lucia's finest. Ideal for a romantic getaway, wedding or honeymoon, families with young children or ...
|Ladera Resort: Soufriere|
The most intimate and romantic hideaway in the Caribbean. Ladera looks as if it has grown out of the hilltop. Its 25 guest rooms and stunning restaurant are all open -- literally -- to the fresh ...
|The Village Inn & Spa (formerly Rainbow Hotel): Rodney Bay|
The Rainbow is a beautiful seventy-six room intimate hotel, with a policy of privacy guaranteed. Located on the Northwest tip of St. Lucia it is in the thriving Resort Area of Rodney Bay. Formerly ...
|Marigot Beach Club Hotel & Dive Resort: Marigot Bay|
Scuba Diving Vacation and Resort in St. Lucia. Marigot Beach Club and Dive Resort provides an intimate hideaway for that true Caribbean vacation. Thirty furnished, self contained units. Some of the ...
|Bay Gardens Hotel: Rodney Bay|
St.Lucia's Multi Award Winning Model 71 room Hotel set in the heart of St.Lucia Tourism capital Rodney Bay, surrounded by duty free shopping malls, restaurants, bars, famous pigeon island, reduit ...
|Almond Morgan Bay Beach Resort: Castries|
Almond Resorts Morgan Bay has 238 rooms in total for its Caribbean vacationers. Guests will be relaxing in one of our six accommodation block sets on the St. Lucia resort property in the tropical ...
|Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort: Labrelotte Bay|
The Windjammer Resort offers 247 guestrooms, suites, and villas in 62 one-, two-, and three-story Mediterranean-style, whitewashed buildings with red tile roofs. Windjammer offers an exotic Caribbean ...